This post helps to install and configure a mail server with postfix as MTA[ (Mail Transfer agent), Dovecot as MDA (Mail Delivery Agent) and Squirrel mail as MUA (Mail User
Agent). This is a simple basic configuration without much advanced configurations. This is tested in Redhat linux and will also work in other redhat disrtos like
fedora, centos etc.
Assuming you have a configured yumserver. Else use the rpms.
#yum install postfix* dovecot* Squirrelmail*
1. Configure the DNS eg: example.com
2. Select the defalt MTA as postfix. Most systems it will be Sendmail.
#alternatives --config mta
3. open the configuration file of Postfix and edit the following.
edit the following
1. my domain
2. my hostname
and reload the service.
4. Configure the Squirrel mail
run the perl file
2.host name [FQDN]
5. Configure the dovecot
protocols = imap
save it and restart the service.
#service dovecot restart
#chkconfig dovecot on
6. Add the MX entry to DNS. Dont fotget to give the priority.
7. Resolve the hostname in /etc/hosts.
8. Start the httpd [apache]
9. Thats it. you can now access the webmail through